30 Minute Cheesey Pasta Bake
What you’ll need:
- Preheat your oven to gas 6, 200˚C or fan 180˚C.
- 500g Penne Rigate
- 1 tbs Olive Oil
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 can of crushed tomatoes
- 400g of Mutti Passata
- A Fist full of fresh chopped basil
- 50g T butter
- 50g T flour
- Freshly ground black pepper
- A quarter of a tsp of ground nutmeg
- 2 cups of full fat milk
- Lots of fresh grated parmigano reggiano (Depends on how much you like!)
- 450g fresh mozzarella, sliced thin (Or buffalo mozzarella – even better!)
- Cook your pasta in salted water until it’s nearly al dente.
- Make the tomato sauce by heating the olive oil on a medium heat in a pan, add garlic and cook until its likely golden (not brown). Add tomato sauce/tomatoes and simmer for 10 mins. Add your basil and simmer for a further 10 mins.
- While the tomato sauce is simmering, make your béchamel sauce. Melt the butter in a small sauce pan over medium heat. Whisk in the flour and cook for about a minute, adding a pinch of salt, a generous grind of black pepper and the nutmeg. Whisk in the milk and bring to a bubble. Reduce for about 5 minutes until the sauce thickens.
- Drain pasta and transfer to a 9 x 13 baking dish. Pour the red sauce over the pasta and turn to coat. Pour the béchamel over the pasta and gently push the pasta around to allow to coat the entire top and start seeping down – don’t completely turn the pasta. Sprinkle with the grated parmigano and top with the sliced mozzarella.
- Bake until the cheese is brown and bubbly, about 5-10 minutes. Serve immediately.