Spinach & Ricotta Cannelloni
(Serves 6 – Always good to have left overs and you can freeze too!)
What you’ll need:
- 1 box of Cannelloni Tubes
- 800g ricotta cheese / Soft cheese like Philadelphia can also be used.
- 4 bunches of fresh spinach, boiled in salted water, drained and finely chopped
- 1 egg
- Extra Virgin Olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 50g grated Parmigiano
- Mozzarella is also optional for the topping at the end.
**If possible, get a piping bag to fill your cannelloni, it’s the best and most tidy way to fill your tubes!
- 1 onion
- 2 crushed cloves of garlic
- 2 x 400 g tins of quality plum tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ a bunch of fresh basil , (15g)
- Sprinkle of Parmigiano
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Dice the onion and squash the garlic. In the same pan, heat a drizzle of olive oil and gently sweat the onion until soft. Add in your two tins of tomatoes, garlic and a bay leaf. Throw in a few basil leaves, a little handful of parmigiano, then let it gently simmer for 20 minutes until the sauce has thickened. Season with salt and pepper and some chilli flakes if you fancy!
- In a large bowl mix the ricotta cheese with the cooked spinach, a little salt and pepper, nutmeg, egg and parmigiano cheese. Using a piping bag, fill cannelloni with the ricotta mix.
- Evenly spread half of the tomato sauce across the bottom of a large baking tray. Place the cannelloni on top and then cover with the remaining sauce. (If you want to make it extra cheesy, add slices of Mozzarella on top.
- Bake for 25 minutes, then allow to rest for 10 minutes before serving. If you have used Mozzeralla on top, bake with tin foil on top for the first 15mins and then remove the tin foil for the last 10 minutes to make the top nice and crispy.
Parmigiano to garnish!